Recipes for your Long Weekend
Spice of Life
The long weekend is just around the corner and after a long winter, it's time to gather with friends and family and enjoy the warmer weather! Curated by Stratus Restaurant's Sous Chef (and grill master!) Sean Vodden, these recipes will help you kick-off the summer barbecue season in style! Enjoy our amazing recipes for Beer Can Chicken, Beeer Marinated Flank Steak, & Tequila Sunrise Cocktails.
Beer Can Chicken
If you're looking for a tender, fall-off-the-bone whole chicken that's moist on the inside and crispy on the outside, then it's time for you to dig in to this beer can chicken.
- 1 whole chicken, 2-3 lbs
- 1 can of your favourite beer
- 1/2 cup Hardins Seasoning or Montreal Chicken Spice
- Beer can chicken holder, if available
- Empty pint glass
- Set your grill to 350F with a 2-zone cooking area.
- Open your favourite can of beer and pour half of the beer into your empty pint glass. Pust aside.
- If necessary, cut off top of beer can to fit into beer can chicken holder.
- Liberally rub chicken with your favourite chicken seasoning, make sure to cost it all.
- Place chicken on stand and put on the cool zone of the grill.
- Start enjoying your favourite beer from step 2.
- Turn the chicken every 20 minutes to ensure an even cook.
- Cook chicken to an internal temperature of 165F.
- Once cooked, let rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Use 2-zone cooking on your gas or charcoal grill.
- If a beer can chicken holder isn't available, use the chicken legs to help prop up the chicken in your grill.
- If you don't drink beer, chicken stock or broth is a perfect substitute.
Beer Marinated Flank Steak
Oh, so you thought beer was just for drinking on the long weekend? Think again! This recipe uses beer to make a tender, juicy flank steak that's loaded with flavour!
- 1 pc of flank steak, 2-3 lbs
- 1 bottle of your favourite full-flavoured beer
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup steak seasoning or your favourite beef rub
- Combine beer, Worcestershire, onion powder, and garlic powder, as well as cracked black pepper.
- Place this mixture into a resealable bag.
- Add flank steak into the resealable bag and refrigerate for 1-4 hours.
- After the 1-4 hours of marinating, light your favourite grill and set to 425F.
- Remove flank and pat dry with paper towel.
- Seasoning both sides of flank steak with steak seasoning or beef rub.
- Grill flank steak for 5-7 minutes per side or until medium rare.
- Let meat rest for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Use a good instant read thermometer to check the flank steak.
- Medium rare is 121-124F.
- Medium is 125-131F.
- Slice against the grain of the meat to ensure tender slices of beef. Cutting across the grain of meat will make the slices stringy.
This vibrant, classic cocktail layers the colours of a summer sunrise using tequila, orange, and grenadine. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!
- 2oz (4 tbsp) tequila
- 4oz (1/2 cup) orange juice
- 3/4oz (1 1/2 tbsp) grenadine syrup
- For the garnish: Cocktail cherry, orange slice
- Fill a highball glass with ice. Pour in the tequila and orange juice and stir.
- Pour the grenadine into centre of the drink and it will sink to the bottom. Stir gently for sunrise gradient effect.
- Garnish with an orange slice and cocktail cherry.